How do Co-ordinated Support Plans relate to SDS and the assessment for it?

I have been supporting a parent, who has a school age child, to understand SDS and consider if this something his family could benefit from. He asked me how his child’s Co-ordinated Support Plan related to SDS and the assessment for it.

As I have much more experience working with adults, I’m less confident with specifics like this one. We are trying to find out as much as we can. Is there an expectation that the two are related and considered together and if so how does this work in your Local Authority Area?

1 Like

Hi Laura, I am a children and families social worker. I haven’t come across this in practice but I think that the coordinated support plan is designed to get agencies working together, so if support was needed, as assessed, by an agency, then that would form a part of the coordinated support plan- you can ask the parent to bring this up at the next child planning meeting and if he wants to ask for SDS to fund support for the child, and an assessment says the child needs support, I think it should be possible. Enquire are a good source of information on rights to additional needs support in education, they have a phone line for professionals and parents/carers. I hope that’s helpful.

1 Like

Thank you Sarah, we will check when the next planning meeting is.

1 Like