Queries on usage of child's budget

Hi looking for bit of advice currently had budget 2 yrs and still not accessed usage due to SW allocating worker allocated worker for them to leave after agreed budget usage was not put in place new worker recently assigned but constant hold up pa to start when first pa we lost due to hold up and now same scenario advised Glasgow inclusive living would deal with payroll and after constant contact with SW disability worker still not set up discussed option of direct payment until this could be set up again advised more to it but no proper explanation no detailed budget given so unaware if agreed usage same as previous worker which was told previously budget would be agreed with myself and new worker which hasn’t as yet am assuming staying same but the delays facing being able to use budget to help support child any advice also if a previously agreed budget usage is no longer what i feel is best to support can i make adjustments ie 10 percent was being used to support home adaptions but due to currently being in temp accommodation this not possible to use can i change this to be used for other supoort needs also what happens to a budget when not used thanks in advance for any advice

1 Like

Hi ya I feel your frustration went through this many times if budget isn’t used they claim it back which is ironic as was put in place to help child/adult however you can’t just make changes without authority unfortunately this can be classed as misuse of funds so I was advised!!? You need to get approval first try email to them giving clear boundaries of timescale and if they don’t respond you will go ahead and ask for acknowledgement of emails. Good luck x

1 Like

My heart goes out to you. The first steps are the hardest steps, and all I can suggest it take it slow and easy and at your own pace. SDS works well, but like roller skating, it also takes practice. Tiny steps lead to bigger steps, and so on.
15 years ago we took our first tiny steps, and now we are managing a team of five. His staffing budget is in 6 figures. There is no real difference between managing a budget of £12k and a budget of £120k , once you get the hang of it.
~No it was not easy, but we persevered, and now our son has his own tenancy and we are always there to help, but have a life of our own as well.
Patience, and best wishes. Small steps, OK?

1 Like

‘Authority’ is a funny word. In some ways, my experience has been you do not ask for approval: you just assume it: and ‘inform’ the social worker what you plan and intend to do within the agreed allocation and plan: (giving them the opportunity to disagree, obviously). Clear written communications are important: but YOU are in charge - they respect this, and it actually makes their life easier if you are a bit assertive and show some confidence. (I know it sounds easy, but it isn’t).

1 Like

Wish it was that easy if you abuse the funds the remove them!! Then who suffers? The rules are they are still in control will us having very little say eg: given funds to get carers to support your adult brilliant but there are none suitable or avail so funds grow adult gets no care. Then the emails oh you have too much funds we are taking them back as unspent? Not really but won’t allow them to be spent on something else that could help the adult!! It’s a box ticking exercise.

1 Like